Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ginger Cider

Today I bottled a new batch and new flavor. As I brew less because I’ve been diagnosed with diabetes, and am down to drinking one bottle a week, this recipe is for 3 gallons not the standard 5.

I used to love ginger beer (not ale) but it is almost impossible to buy anymore. So as with the cider I looked for recipe’s to make home made ginger beer. There are a bunch and all are similar to traditional cider making, so. . . . .



Instead of plain Cider to a basic recipe I added a good sized chunk of ginger root (1/2 the root as sold at the grocery store). It was prepared by pealing and slicing it as thin as I could, boiling in about 2 cups of water for 5 min and letting sit to room temp. It was added to my 3 gallon carboy, with all the ginger pieces, and then the cider was made as normal.

The Cider came out delightfully spicy but it needed a bit more punch, next time I’ll use the entire root. It’s sweet and about 14% alcohol.
Recipe:
  • 1 ginger root (whole thing)
  • 1 oz Green Apple Extract
  • 2 lbs sugar
  • 2.5 gallons Winn Dixie Apple Juice
  • 1 pkg Safale US-05 Dry Ale Yeast
  • 3 comments:

    Tom said...

    It took an extra 5 min or so to clean all the ginger root pieces out of the carboy. All in all total time to bottle and clean up was about 90 min. With about 30 min of prep time, total invested time in 3 gallons of primo hooch is about 2 hours. Total dollars invested was about $15. All in all a good investment of time and money.

    Anonymous said...

    Great Blog, very interesting.


    "Storage Solution

    Unknown said...

    Great article !!

    See this website if you are looking for a machine which can clean your bottles easily : http://aquatech-bm.com/produits.html